Richmond Hill, Queens
Richmond Hill is a region in the New York City borough of Queens with a population of over 2,000,000.
A Brief History
Richmond Hill first began to develop with the 1868 opening of the railroad station at the intersection of Hillside Avenue and Babbage Street, on the Montauk railroad line.
In 1868, a successful banker named Albon P. Man bought the Lefferts and Welling farms, and hired Richmond to lay out the community. Over the next decade streets, schools, a church, and a railroad were built, thus making the area one of the earliest residential communities on Long Island.
Richmond Hill’s name was inspired either by Richmond, London UK or because of Edward Richmond, a landscape architect in the mid-19th century who designed much of the neighbourhood.
Last updated 11/04/2015
Richmond Hill History:
Historic Map of Richmond Hill: