Richmond, Nelson Province
Richmond is a small town of approximately 14,000 located fifteen minutes' drive from Nelson City, one of New Zealand's most popular holiday destinations. It is surrounded by beaches, farm land and the Mount Richmond State Forest Park, and receives the highest number of sunshine hours of anywhere in New Zealand.
A Brief History
Richmond was founded by T. J. Thompson and J. W. Barnicoat, surveyors who settled there in June 1842. Four years later it was named Richmond at the suggestion of resident George Snow, who had come from Richmond-Upon-Thames, London. Before this, the area was used as a Māori food and flax resource, but was never a Māori settlement. By 1896, Richmond has a population of 500 people.
Richmond is the main shopping and business precinct in the District and in recent years it has been transformed with the addition of many new retail outlets and the largest Mall in the top of the south. Richmond has a comprehensive shopping area and a good choice of eating places, all with free parking.
Despite continued growth, Richmond has managed to retain its family-friendly ‘small town’ feel. It is now a favourite stopping place for the thousands of tourists that visit Tasman District and offers a great network of green spaces and walking tracks to enjoy.
• Richmond is surrounded by national parks, Abel Tasman National Park, Nelson Lakes National Park and Kahurangi National Park.
• Waterways Rabbit Island (Moturoa), Aniseed Valley, Waimea River and Kaiteriteri.
Last updated 09/02/2015
The History of Richmond: