Richmond Rugby Clubs Of The World
RICHMOND FC, London, UK
Richmond Football Club (RFC), formed in 1861, is rich in history and participated in the world’s very first inter-club fixture in 1864 against Blackheath. It is one of the 8 existing founding clubs to have formed the Rugby Football Union (RFU) in 1871. RFC broke new ground by hosting the first experimental floodlit match on its home ground in 1878, and was one of the first clubs to host the All Blacks touring side in 1905. It played in the first match on the RFU ground at Twickenham in 1909 – and even played in the first match under the Football Association Rules of 1863 but quickly decided that these rules did not suit. Many members were lost in the two world wars, with fifty nine names on the Board for World War 1 alone, although 75 is recorded in the history books. Looking at the memorial plaques is a sobering experience.
RFC was one of the first clubs to embrace professionalism in 1996, though this move proved to be something of a banana skin for the club
In 3 years as a professional club it attracted a strong squad of international players and gained promotion by winning Division 2 in 1996/7 and finished 5th and 9th respectively in the Premiership in the following two years. In early 1999 the major financial backer withdrew his support and consequently Richmond went in to administration, and as a result the club’s right to play in the premier Division was removed and the professional squad therefore disbanded.
A new company, Richmond Vikings Ltd (RVL), financed by a number of old and new Richmond supporters, has successfully re-established the club in the old traditional spirit. It came out of administration in May 2002 and RVL succeeded in buying the vast majority of shares in the Richmond Athletic Association, which holds the lease of the Athletic Ground, comprising 7 pitches in 26 acres. This has enabled Richmond to keep the rugby tradition alive on the ground where the club has played rugby since 1889. Currently the First XV play in National 1 - Level 3 in the RFU structure – in other words one of the top 40 clubs in the country. By coincidence, one of their sponsors - McGuire Woods - is also based in a 'Richmond'. Richmond Virginia, USA.
Richmond Women continue to be one of the best Women’s Clubs in the land and their 1st XV won the Premier league in both 2009/10 and 2010/11 plus winning the National Cup Final in 2009. Their 2nd XV have been consistently at or near the top of Division 2, also finishing second in 2008/9. The 3rd XV play in Championship South East 2 having gained promotion by winning their league in 2008/9. RFC Women are the only club in the country with 3 teams regularly playing.
The Youth and Minis sections continue to be a source of great pride, involving over 600 players on a Sunday. All the Youth age groups play in the Surrey first division and several also have second teams playing in leagues. The Minis consistently pick up silverware at all age groups in tournaments around the region and host one of the largest at Richmond with over 1000 players coming from all over the country and beyond.
Richmondshire, Yorkshire, UK
The Richmondshire Rugby Club was founded in 1989. The present grounds contain a new pavilion opened by Rob Andrew of RFU in 2014.
Richmondshire boasts two teams and a strong junior section. With the ongoing expansion of Catterick Garrison to the largest army base in world, the Ministry Of Defence and RFU have funded a new clubhouse on beautiful grounds which overlook Richmond Castle and the River Swale.
Richmond Rugby Club, British Columbia, Canada
The Bangalore Rugby Football Club on Richmond Road is the only rugby club in Bangalore.
History Of The RFU
On January 26, 1871 21 clubs were represented by 32 people at a meeting chaired by EC Holmes, the Captain of Richmond Club. It was held at the Pall Mall Restaurant in London. Within two hours the Rugby Union was formed. Algernon Rutter of Richmond was elected as the first President, with Edwin Ash as the first Secretary/Treasurer.
The founder clubs of the Union still extant are Blackheath, Civil Service, Guys Hospital, Harlequins, Kings College, Richmond, St Paul’s School, Wellington College and Wimbledon Hornets.
At this foundation meeting two sub-committees were formed, the first, consisting of three Old Rugbeians, was tasked with writing the Laws of the Game. The other was tasked with choosing a team to play the Scottish members of the Union, who had issued a challenge to the English members. The first recognised international football game, of any code, took place later the same year.
Fairly quickly after the formation of the RFU other countries formed their own unions, the Scots in 1873, the Irish in 1879 and the Welsh in 1880 and annual home-nations fixtures were contested. The RFU remained the ultimate arbiter of the sport until formation of the International Rugby Board in 1886, which the RFU finally joined in 1890.
The popularity of the game increased more rapidly in the north of England than in the south and by the early 1890s Lancashire and Yorkshire were contributing the majority of players to the England team. However, northern footballers, often shift-working colliers, builders, publicans or foundrymen, found that representing county and country made increasing demands on their time and so began to call for “broken-time” payments to compensate for their lost earnings. This contravened the RFU’s strict amateur code and in 1895, intransigence on both sides resulted in what became known as the “great schism”. In August of that year at the George Hotel in Huddersfield, 22 clubs from the north of England resigned from the RFU and formed the Northern Union, which later came to be known as the Rugby League.
Following well attended tours by New Zealand, South Africa and New Zealand the Union committee decided it was time to build their own stadium. One of their members, William Williams, eventually decided that a market garden of 101/4 acres near the small town of Twickenham was the most suitable site. The land was purchased for £5,572, 12s/6d in 1907.
The ground became known as “Billy Williams’ Cabbage Patch”, although it had actually been used for growing fruit. The first match to be played at Twickenham was between Harlequins and Richmond in October 1909 and the first international was between England and Wales in January 1910. The stadium has been the permanent home of the England national team and the RFU ever since.
Four years later the RFU issued a circular to all players solemnly advising them to join the armed forces just 9 days before the outbreak of World War One. A generation later the stadium itself was called into active service during World War Two, the North Stand was used as a swarf-store and the West Stand converted into a casualty receiving station.
In 1995, almost 100 years to the day since the great schism, the IRB declared the game “open” and rugby entered the age of professionalism. The RFU, despite voting against this motion, adjusted and quickly prospered. Twickenham Stadium is now home to a four-star hotel, leisure club and conferences facilities which along with the RFU’s other commercial activities allows the organisation to invest in English rugby clubs, the English national team and schools rugby amongst others.
History Of Rugby
A History of Rugby Football
In 1820 the game of Rugby was played rather like soccer, but players were allowed to catch the ball and kick it out of their hands. There were no limits to the number of players on each side, for example, School House v Rest of the School. In 1839, when Queen Adelaide visited the School, School House (75) played ‘the rest’ (225). To score a try would not gain points but would allow a team to ‘try’ to take a ‘drop at goal’ to score a point. With so many on each side this was hard to do and sometimes games would last up to five days. The Close itself was merely three rough fields, and it was not until the late 1850s that the ground was levelled. Sheep still grazed here until the early 1900s. No written rules at this time!
Webb Ellis and 1823
In 1823, William Webb Ellis, a local boy in Town House, first ran with the ball, but this rule was not adopted straight away. By 1830, running with the ball was an accepted play, although the first written rules did not appear until 1845. These rules were written by the boys. Ellis was born just outside Manchester, but moved down to Rugby. He went on to Brasenose College Oxford where he took Holy Orders. He died in France in 1872 where his The code of football later known as rugby union can be traced to three events: the first set of written rules in 1845, the Blackheath Club's decision to leave the Football Association in 1863 and the formation of the Rugby Football Union in 1871. Blackheath and Richmond FC oldest clubs in world. The code was originally known simply as "rugby football." It was not until a schism in 1895, over the payment of players, which resulted in the formation of the separate code of rugby league, that the name "rugby union" was used to differentiate the original rugby code. For most of its history rugby was a strictly amateur football code, and the sport's administrators frequently imposed bans and restrictions on players who they viewed as professional. It was not until 1995 that rugby union was declared an "open" game, and thus professionalism was sanctioned by the code's governing body — the International Rugby Board.grave is cared for by the French RFU.
The Ball and Key Words
An original Rugby ball was round and changed shape over a period of time to the oval it is today. They varied in sizes depending on the pig’s bladder they were made from. Gilberts, a local boot maker, took up ball making to supply the School. Others, notably Lindon, supplied the boys and it was this maker that invented the inflatable inner and the pump.
Many of the words associated with today’s game originated here. For example, ‘try’ was from the days when a touch-down did not score points, but allowed an attempt to kick at goal. ‘Offside’, ‘knock on’, ‘touch’ and ‘goal line’ are all from the original School football rules.
Uniform, Teams and Rules
Rugby School was the only team to play in white because the committee of the RFU in 1871 was composed largely of ORs, which is why England played in white. School House was the first team to play in a uniform kit (long flannels, shirts and caps), because it was the only House to play as a single group until 1850. Before this, the boys played in their ordinary school clothes in teams made up from various Houses. In 1867 the first ‘foreign’ match was played against ORs and the town. The teams were now down to 20 players, and then 15 by 1876. Internal teams stayed at 20 until 1888. The first inter-School match was against Cheltenham in 1896 and half the players in the first England international team were ORs. The RFU was formed (largely of ORs) in 1871 and the first national code was introduced. The boys at Rugby kept their own rules, and even modified them, until the late 1880s. There were no referees in the early days – boys would wear sharpened boots with nails in them for extra hacking. Boys considered good enough to play for the main teams were given ‘following up’ caps, which later developed into the international cap awarded to the country’s top players.
Rules of the Game
1845 First codified ‘rules’ of the game drawn up by the levee [School Prefects]: No. 5 ‘Try at goal’ - a touchdown doesn’t count unless it is converted; so it’s a try or attempt at goal. No. 18 ‘A player having touched the ball straight for a tree, and touched the tree with it, may drop from either side if he can, but the opposite side may oblige him to go to his own side of the tree.’ No. 20 ‘All matches are drawn after five days, but after three if no goal has been kicked.’ No. 25 ‘No stranger, in any match, may have a place kick at goal.’ No. 33 ‘The Island is all in goal.
The first five Rugby Football Union Presidents were Old Rugbeians, as well as the first England captain. An OR introduced the game to Cambridge University. When first played some passers-by ran onto the pitch thinking they were breaking up a brawl!
Origins of ‘half time’
The origin of half time originated at the School. After some 40 minutes the School captain stopped the game and announced it was hardly fair as his team was playing with a strong following wind. He offered the opposition the chance of playing the rest of the match with the breeze. They changed ends and half time was born. Forty minutes each way was first mentioned in the 1926 rules.
The International cap originates from Rugby, as well as the distinctive posts that go up well above the cross bar. It became near impossible to kick the ball between the posts due to the number of young men who were too young to follow-up and who packed the goal mouth. Hence the kickers began to kick over the crossbar.
England’s original white shirt and shorts with black socks is from Rugby and Oxbridge’s ‘blue’ is directly from the School’s XV.
The terminology in the original rules can still be found in the laws today: knock-on, onside/offside, fair catch, try, goal, place kick, 25 yard [22 m.] line, touch judge, charge, scrummage and in-goal.
In early days there were three elm trees in the pitch.
The first inter-School match was against Cheltenham College in 1896.
Ten of the England XX who played Scotland in the world’s first international were ORs.
In the 1872 Oxford v. Cambridge match there were 24 ORs on the pitch (20-a-side then).
By 1884 the School had produced English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish Internationals.
The first South African captain (1891) was an old boy.
In 1923 England/Wales played Scotland/ Ireland in an International to celebrate the centenary of William Webb Ellis’s exploit on the Close.
Rugby School has supplied two Lions, 63 Internationals (four England captains, two Scottish and the lone Springbok).
Three Rugby International O.R.s were killed in the Great War including the incomparable Ronnie Poulton Palmer.
The School had won the Rosslyn Park 7s tournament in 1943 beating Bedford 11-3 in the final, and in 1945 beating Oundle 13-0 in the final.
In 1947 the School defeated Stoneyhurst 3-0.
The Rules included: ‘In the case of accidents, no player may be replaced during the course of the game.’ ‘No prizes or medals will be given.’
In 1968 the School was due to play Campbell College, Belfast. The pitch had been affected by a sharp frost and there was some concern. The situation was alleviated by the arrival of referee Gwyn Walters, who dug his heel in and pronounced it perfectly playable, but was then heard to mutter: “they’re young enough to bounce.”
In 1973 the School played the Australian Schools in their first tour match.
The School owns the earliest pen-and-ink drawing, water colour and oil painting of a game of Rugby Football.
Rugby continues to be America's fastest growing sport While football, basketball and baseball seem to be dominating the headlines across the country at the moment, there is one sport that is on the rise not only in Utah, but also across the country.
Last updated 04/03/2015